New vehicle licence requirements needs proof of address, not yet linked to e-tolls

17 Mar 2016

Ujuh Reporter

You now need to have proof of address in order to renew your motor vehicle licence and disc from either the licencing or the post office.

And you must have cleared your traffic fine account, meaning you must not have long overdue fines that have attracted warrant of arrest.

This is part of newish requirements in the annual motor vehicle licence renewal process which kicked in from November 1 2015.

The consideration to link e-tolls accounts to the process of motor vehicle licence disc is yet to be processed through the legal system.

The proof of address requirement partly ensures that the transport department knows where you stay and can reach with the unpleasant traffic fine notices.

Here follows the list of all you need to know about the process of renewing your motor vehicle license and disc as described by the department of transport.

  • You must renew your motor vehicle licence every year before it expires.
  • If you fail to renew your licence, you will be liable to pay late licensing penalties and arrears.
  • You can renew your motor vehicle licence at your relevant registering authority or at a selected post office near you.
  • You get a 21-day grace period if you have not renewed the expired motor vehicle licence.
  • The grace period is calculated from the expiry date of the current licence disc.
  • Licences for buses must be renewed every six months because their certification of roadworthiness is valid for six months only.

What you need to have:

  • Your identity document
  • Proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
  • If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address
  • In case of change of address , you must fill in a notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
  • If you do not have the renewal notice, complete form ALV (Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle)

For a vehicle registered in an organisation or company’s name, bring the following:

  • business certificate of the organisation or company
  • Identity document of proxy
  • Letter of proxy
  • Motor vehicle licence renewal notice (MVL2). If you do not have the renewal notice, complete an Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle form (ALV).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *