Council prepares petition to support new anti-smoking laws

17 Jul 2018

PBM

The National Council Against Smoking (www.againstsmoking.co.za) has teamed up with Amandla.mobi to set up a petition for people to show their support of the new anti-smoking laws.

The bill will make it impossible for smokers to put non-smokers at risk.

The new bill is centred on four new legislative provisions:

  • The removal of enclosed smoking areas.
  • Regulations around the use of e-cigarettes
  • Plain packaged cigarette boxes with pictorial warnings.
  • The removal of cigarette vending machines and tobacco marketing materials at till points.

About 19% of South Africans light up cigarettes and other tobacco products every day. The provisions in the bill is aimed at protecting the health of the remaining 81% of the population.

The bill is open for comment until August 9. The Amandla. mobi and National Council Against Smoking petition can be accessed [here](https://awethu.amandla.mobi/petitions/support-new-anti-smoking-laws-send-in-your-submission?source=twitter-share-button)

info@probonomatters.co.za

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *